When you think of a weight loss diet, you might be thinking of eating very little and feeling hungry all the time. For most diets, this is true, and that’s the reason why many people can’t stick to a diet for a long time. The best diet would be one that allows you to lose weight, while it gives you enough nutrients and doesn’t leave you feeling hungry.
Here you will find out everything you need to know about the best weight loss foods.
Foods for a weight loss diet
The principle of losing weight is to consume less calories than you need, so there are two things that you can do:
- Lower your calorie intake
- Burn more calories.
Often, people who start a weight loss diet make the mistake of not eating enough, which makes them feeling hungry all the time, and because of this they won’t continue their diet in the long run, and won’t reach their goals. That’s why it’s important to eat enough, but to choose healthy foods. Great weight loss foods are:
- Healthy fats.
- Low carb foods.
The protein and healthy fats will help you to feel full for longer.
The kind of foods you eat are very important and moderation is key. Cut sugar from your diet as much as possible, because sugar contains many calories and very few nutrients (beware of added sugars), eat smaller portions of carbohydrates (rice, pastas, bread) and bigger portions of vegetables than what you’re used to.
You need nutrients to stay healthy, so get your calories from healthy foods, such as vegetables. They will fill you up, but won’t give you an overload of calories. To stay full for longer and to avoid that hungry feeling that usually appears when dieting, eat enough proteins.
Chose the right carbohydrates!
Carbohydrates are important, because they are the main source of energy for the body.
The best carbohydrates are rich in fibers, minerals, water and vitamins, like vegetables.
They will keep you satiated, help you to lose weight and improve your immune system.
Examples of low-carb vegetables are:
- Bell pepper.
Drinks are important to lose weight
Don’t forget about drinks! Without realizing it, you might be consuming a lot of calories with your drinks. You know that drinking soft-drinks isn’t a good idea, but do you know that fruit juices can contain just as much sugar and calories?
While on a weight loss diet, the best options for drinks are:
- Coffee (without milk or sugar).
- Teas and herbal infusions, like green tea: it will help you to accelerate your metabolism and to burn more fat.
It’s important to drink plenty of fluids. Drinking enough water helps to deliver nutrients to your body cells and to flush out toxins.
If you don’t like the taste of plain water, you can make it more tasty by adding lemon (gives you vitamin C) or Bolero – a calorie-free or low-calorie powder that makes your water taste great.
PRO TIP: Alcohol converts into sugar and may contain lots of calories. It also causes dehydration so it is better to avoid alcoholic drink when you want to lose weight.
Which are the best fats for a weight loss diet?
To lose body weight, you might think that you can’t eat fats, but your body needs fats to stay healthy, so don’t cut fats from your diet completely. Fats are needed by the body for:
- The production of key hormones, such as thyroid hormone, estrogen, testosterone and cortisol.
- For the uptake of nutrients, such as fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K).
Examples of healthy fats are:
- Fish Oil and Omega-3.
- Avocado (the fruit or oil).
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Walnuts and walnut oil (and most other nuts).
- Coconut oil.
- Peanut oil.
Is Protein a food for weight loss?
Protein is known to promote muscle building, but can also help you losing weight.
Proteins will help you to feel full for longer, to suppress the appetite and to maintain muscle mass, especially if you combine it with exercise.
High-protein foods include:
- Fish and seafood
- Lean meat
- Low-fat dairy products
Protein powder supplements are also a great option.
Protein sources for vegans and vegetarians
For people following a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, the options for proteins can be more limited. However, there are several plant-based protein sources available:
- Soy products (like soy milk).
- Beans, peas and lentils.
- Plant-based protein powders.
Weight loss foods
Good weight loss foods are:
- Yogurt (unsweetened or light Greek yogurt which contains more protein).
- Green leaf vegetables.
- Cruciferous vegetables.
- Salmon and tuna (grilled).
- Lean beef and chicken breast (grilled).
- Avocado (oil).
- Nuts (in small amounts, because they contain a lot of calories).
- Soups (they are rich in vegetables).
- Whole eggs (baked, scrambled, poached).
- Cottage cheese.
Meal options for a weight loss diet
Start your day with proteins!
Take protein (such as eggs or protein shake) for breakfast, they will keep you feeling full longer, which will help to avoid snacking on unhealthy foods. For example:
- Scrambled eggs and a slice of whole grain bread with cottage cheese and a cup of coffee – It will work as a pre-workout meal.
- A cup of light Greek yogurt with fresh fruits and seeds.
- A small serving of brown rice with boiled vegetables of preference (cauliflower, broccoli) and grilled salmon (for fats and proteins).
- Beans with tuna and boiled egg. Add some vegetables!
- Salads are great for weight loss, because they mainly consist of vegetables (for carbs). To complete your salad, add cottage cheese, eggs and tuna (for proteins), and use a home-made dressing of olive oil (for fats) and vinegar.
- A vegetable soup (for example broccoli soup) with chicken breast (for proteins).
- Fruit, like an apple, with peanut butter.
- An unsweetened yogurt.
- A protein powder.
You need to eat enough to keep your metabolism going! It´s recommended to eat several times a day. Increase the frequency of the meals and decrease the amount you take each meal.
By improving your diet you will have better weight loss results. Eating less sugars and (bad) carbohydrates, and instead choosing healthy foods, such as vegetables and proteins, will help you lose weight.
It’s important to drink enough water, and to consume small amounts of healthy fats, to keep your body functioning optimally.
Tell us how you achieved to lose weight in the comments below!